Saturday, November 15, 2008

Taking my Best Shot

Hunting is quite the popular activity in Idaho for various reasons. Some people regard it as a sport, some are adding to their food storage for the winter...some, like us, use it primarily to get out in the wonderful wilderness we call home and sight see. Wherever we are "hunting" we rarely see the actual game we might have a chance to "bag". They are nowhere to be seen. I f they are not in season we see whole hillsides of elk looking noble and slightly superior, or a bevy of beautiful does dozing a few feet from our vehicle, or moose feeding placidly in a lily pad bedecked lake. In fact I would have to say that even without a valid hunting license I have "shot" more game this year than said sad hunter (see picture) has plugged away at all season...here are some of my "shots" of late...

You couldn't find a wild turkey to shoot at in the wilderness if you even only had a loose bullet rattling around in your pocket...but have a camera in your hand and they will run up to the road to have their picture taken.

Cute kids, huh! These were right by and then on the road with us...Rylyn was thrilled.

A pleasant pheasant who was playing peek a boo with me by the road. His little harem blended far to well into the grass and defied my best photographic efforts.
This one reminds me of a stern Audrey Hepburn. What a graceful neck. I wish I could have included all the others but there was no room at the blog.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

There was a deer out behind our house this past week - we don't see them nearly as often as when we had a field behind the house. I have no idea if it's even deer season. I'm guessing it never is inside city limits.

m_perfect said...

That's true even here in the wilderness that is Idaho.

Keira said...

Wild turkeys always look weird to me--they ought to be headless, right?

Stephanie said...

Excellent camera work!
These animals live in the wild of Idaho?

m_perfect said...

These animals live about 20 minutes from my house!